Stavros Stavrou, a dedicated and forward-thinking leader, aims to bring prosperity to Cyprus through his vision for the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KEVE). With a focus on Larnaca’s tourism, transformative infrastructure projects, and addressing labor shortages and the challenges of the Green Transition, Stavrou advocates for progress, entrepreneurship, and strategic policies to shape Cyprus’s economic future.
What is Stavros Stavrou’s Vision for the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce?
Stavros Stavrou, aiming for KEVE presidency, envisions a thriving economy with a focus on Larnaca’s tourism, transformative infrastructure projects, and addressing labor shortages and the Green Transition challenges. He advocates for progress, entrepreneurship, and strategic policies to shape Cyprus’s economic future.
Stavros Stavrou Sets Sights on KEVE Presidency
After a productive tenure leading the Larnaca Chamber of Commerce, Stavros Stavrou has announced his candidacy for the prestigious role of president at the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KEVE). Known for his dedication and forward-thinking approach, Stavrou’s ambition reflects his commitment to the economic progression of Cyprus.
Larnaca’s Hotel Industry Boom
During his farewell speech at the chamber’s general assembly, Stavrou reflected on the significant growth of Larnaca’s hotel sector. He highlighted the impressive increase in accommodations that is projected to exceed 3,000 beds. His vision for Larnaca’s tourism is bolstered by the upcoming introduction of internationally recognized hotel brands to the region, promising a new level of global appeal.
Infrastructure and Development Initiatives
Stavrou has been a keen advocate for transformational infrastructure projects within the Larnaca district. He has been pivotal in advancing three key initiatives:
- The strategic relocation of oil tanks and liquid gas facilities, which will also see the lifting of the SEVESO Directive, enhancing safety and environmental standards.
- The ongoing construction of the Larnaca-Dekelia road, a project set to improve connectivity and traffic flow.
- The development of the port-marina complex, an ambitious project that promises to revitalize Larnaca’s coastal front despite facing numerous hurdles.
Addressing Challenges and Embracing Change
In his address, Stavrou did not shy away from the pressing issues facing the business community. He acknowledged the acute need for specialized staff and the broader labor shortage that industries across Cyprus are grappling with. The rising lending rates and the looming challenges of the Green Transition, coupled with skyrocketing energy costs, also featured prominently in his speech.
The Halloumi Cheese Conundrum
Stavrou shone a light on the importance of halloumi cheese, a cornerstone of the district’s export market. He urged for a swift resolution to the issues surrounding this beloved Cypriot product, emphasizing its economic significance.
A Commitment to Progress
Expressing pride in his contributions to Evel’s legacy, Stavrou insisted on the importance of collective efforts to foster entrepreneurship and advancement in both Larnaca and the broader Cypriot community. With a critical three-year period ahead, his ambition is to bring his wealth of experience to KEVE, steering the economy and society through challenging yet promising times.
New Leadership at Evel
The Larnaca Chamber of Commerce also welcomed its new Administrative Board for the 2023-2026 term, signaling a fresh chapter with Nakis Antoniou at the helm as president. A diverse cast of vice presidents, honorary secretaries, and sector representatives constitute the new board, emphasizing the chamber’s inclusive approach to leadership.
Stavrou’s campaign for KEVE’s presidency and his service record in Larnaca portray a picture of an individual deeply invested in the prosperity and resilience of Cypriot business. His proposed policies and initiatives underline a strategic vision that could shape the economic landscape of Cyprus for years to come.
- Stavros Stavrou is running for the presidency of the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KEVE), with a focus on Larnaca’s tourism, transformative infrastructure projects, and addressing labor shortages and challenges of the Green Transition.
- Stavrou has led the Larnaca Chamber of Commerce and highlighted the growth of Larnaca’s hotel sector, with plans to introduce internationally recognized hotel brands to the region.
- Stavrou advocates for transformational infrastructure projects in Larnaca, including the relocation of oil tanks and liquid gas facilities, the construction of the Larnaca-Dekelia road, and the development of the port-marina complex.
- Stavrou acknowledges pressing issues such as labor shortages, rising lending rates, the Green Transition, and skyrocketing energy costs.
- Stavrou emphasizes the economic significance of halloumi cheese and the need for a resolution to the issues surrounding its export market.
- Stavrou’s ambition is to bring his experience and vision to KEVE, steering the economy and society through challenging yet promising times.