Looking for a healthier alternative to traditional moussaka that doesn’t sacrifice taste? Try this vegan moussaka recipe made with eggplant, potatoes, onions, wild mushrooms, green lentils, and a dairy-free béchamel sauce. It’s flavorful, nutritious, and perfect for those seeking a wholesome plant-based dish. Follow the simple instructions and enjoy! 🌱🍆🥔🍄🥛#veganmoussaka #plantbased #wholesome #delicious
What is a vegan moussaka recipe?
A vegan moussaka is a flavorful and nutritious plant-based dish made with eggplant, potatoes, onions, wild mushrooms, green lentils, and vegan-friendly red wine. It also features a dairy-free béchamel sauce made with plant milk, flour, and dairy-free butter. The dish is a healthier alternative to traditional moussaka without sacrificing taste.
Embrace the delightful taste of this vegan moussaka recipe that combines a variety of wholesome ingredients for a scrumptious and nutritious meal. This plant-based dish is perfect for those seeking a healthier alternative to traditional moussaka without sacrificing taste.
- 1 eggplant (sliced)
- 3 or 4 potatoes (sliced)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1/3 cup parsley (leaves)
- 3 cups wild mushrooms
- 1 cup veggie stock (more if it’s too dry)
- 3/4 cup red wine (vegan-friendly)
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 tin green lentils (drained)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup tomato puree
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 cups plant milk (we used coconut)
- 3 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1/2 whole nutmeg (grated)
- Parsley to garnish
Prepare the Vegetables
- Lay the eggplant and potato slices on oiled baking trays, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake at 200℃ (392℉) for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are a nice golden color.
Create the Ragu
- Cook the onion in a frying pan until it’s translucent.
- Add the grated garlic, oregano, rosemary, and parsley. Cook until the onions are well coated in flavor.
- Stir in the mushrooms, ensuring they mix well with the other ingredients in the pan.
- Add the stock and wine, letting it simmer before stirring to blend the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the tinned tomatoes, green lentils (drained), cinnamon, and tomato puree. Stir to cook evenly.
- In a frying pan, melt the dairy-free butter, add one cup of flour, and stir (it will clump up).
- Add one cup of plant milk and stir to combine (it will be a bit lumpy).
- Repeat the process until the sauce is thick and creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding more milk or flour as needed.
Assemble the Moussaka
- Layer the cooked potatoes in the bottom of a lasagna dish.
- Spread half the ragu mixture across the potatoes.
- Add a layer of eggplant slices.
- Top with the remaining ragu.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the top, spreading with a wooden spoon as needed.
- Grate nutmeg over the moussaka.
Bake and Serve
- Bake at 200℃ (392℉) for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned to your liking.
- Remove from the oven, serve immediately, and garnish with fresh parsley.
Enjoy this delectable vegan moussaka with friends and family for a delightful and satisfying plant-based meal.
This vegan moussaka recipe not only provides a healthier alternative to traditional moussaka, but it also emphasizes the importance of incorporating wholesome plant-based ingredients into our diets. By using eggplant, potatoes, onions, wild mushrooms, green lentils, and a dairy-free béchamel sauce made with plant milk, flour, and dairy-free butter, we can create a nutritious and flavorful dish that is also environmentally friendly.
Additionally, this recipe highlights the importance of experimenting with flavors and textures to create a unique and tasty dish. By using herbs like oregano, rosemary, and parsley, and spices like cinnamon, the ragu mixture is infused with a rich and savory flavor. This recipe also shows how to create a creamy and velvety béchamel sauce without the use of dairy. Through this vegan moussaka recipe, we learn that plant-based eating can be both delicious and healthy.