During the coordinated wheel control operation by Group “Z” and EOMO in Limassol, law enforcement officers reported several violations, including 25 drivers for licensing issues, 17 impounded vehicles, 20 individuals for insurance violations, and various complaints for vehicle condition noncompliance. A total of 286 traffic violations were identified, showcasing significant efforts to enhance road safety in the community.
The photoenforcement system is expanding to enhance road safety by monitoring and deterring traffic violations with strategically placed cameras. Immediate additions include 12 new camera points, with a longterm goal of having 90 fixed cameras at 30 points by March 2024, underscoring a commitment to reduce accidents and improve compliance with traffic regulations.
The Police of Cyprus recently conducted extensive operations over three days, targeting crime prevention and traffic violation reduction. They inspected 2,103 individuals and 2,091 vehicles, detecting 1,052 traffic offenses, including 464 speeding cases and 32 seat belt violations. Additionally, they reported 84 parking offenses and enforced regulations on 310 businesses. Their proactive approach aims to ensure public safety and road security.
In an effort to prevent serious and fatal road accidents, nationwide traffic checks have been conducted by the police. These operations focus on uncovering traffic offenses, targeting habitual violations like speeding and DUI, and promoting road safety awareness, exemplifying police vigilance in reducing accident rates and fostering a culture of responsibility among road users.
In the Limassol Traffic Police operation, 30 individuals were caught driving without a license or insurance, vehicles were impounded, and 141 traffic violations were recorded. The operation aimed to enhance road safety and enforce traffic laws. A coordinated enforcement action by the Limassol Police Department targeted traffic offenders, resulting in the impoundment of vehicles, penalties for unlicensed and uninsured drivers, and the detection of various other violations. Advanced technology, such as automatic number plate recognition, was utilized to streamline the process. The operation spanned a twelvehour period, with the goal of promoting safer driving practices and preventing accidents.
The House transport committee, led by Marinos Mousiouttas, has proposed reducing red light violation fines from €300 to €150 for firsttime offenders, with a standard €300 fine for repeat offenses within three years. This proposal is part of an effort to create a fairer penalty system for traffic violations and encourage road safety.
Recent audits have revealed that traffic cameras in Cyprus have recorded police vehicles committing 164 traffic violations over a 13month period. Shockingly, 93% of these violations were dismissed without proper documentation, and the fines for the remaining 7% remain unpaid, highlighting a significant accountability issue in law enforcement.
In a concentrated effort to improve road safety, the Cyprus Police have increased patrols and enforcement measures to target various traffic violations. Over a 24hour period, they issued 63 speeding complaints, penalized 51 individuals for impaired driving, cited 5 for driving without a license, cited 15 for seat belt violations, reported 8 for mobile phone use while driving, cited 94 for documentation offenses, and noted 116 miscellaneous traffic code violations. These actions aim to reduce serious and fatal road collisions and promote proper road behavior among drivers.