Around 150 people dived to the Zenobia wreck off Larnaca on Sunday as part of a mass event for Zenobia Week, which runs until Tuesday.
The dive event was jointly organised by the Larnca municipality and the town’s tourism development and promotion company ETAP.
President of ETAP Dinos Lefkaritis said that Zenobia Week, which began on June 23, had been a huge success, according to the Cyprus News Agency.
He said dozens of divers had come from abroad specifically to take part in Sunday’s event at what is considered one of the world’s top ten dive sites.
During the week a series of events, lectures, exhibitions – including an outdoor display along the Phinikoudes seafront – and a video competition were held.
Lefkaritis said the wreck attracts around 45,000 divers a year. “The Zenobia is of the best wrecks in the world,” he said.
He also confirmed that a number of Greek divers had brought the Greek flag to the wreck during Sunday’s event.
On Tuesday to wrap up the week of events, a conference will be held on managing artificial reefs under the auspices of the agriculture ministry.
The Zenobia sank in June 1980 on its maiden voyage from Sweden to Syria when it capsized off Larnaca. It is the largest shipwreck in the Mediterranean at 172 metres long, 28 metres wide and 21 metres high. Its hold contained 104 lorries full of cargo such as cars, military equipment, telecommunication systems, air conditioning systems, toys and food.
It was also carrying a million eggs, many of which are still intact on the seabed.
Today the wreck has turned into an artificial reef that hosts thousands of fish species such as groupers, barracuda, bream, and others, along with coral, sea anemones and other underwater vegetation.
The wreck, which sank at a depth of around 42 metres is easily accessible and is just 10 minutes by boat from the mainland.
For information: www.zenobiaweek.com