D&D Landscape has the largest landscape architects in the country. New Cyprus Magazine had a chat with Dinç Önal, owner of the well-known company.
– My father Dündar Önal started the company 12 years ago, says Dinc. At that time, we worked mostly as supplier and retail sellers.
After Dinç completed his university education in Agriculture Engineering in Turkey, he went into the family business full time.
– There was no particular dream I had to work as a landscape architect, but I’m very glad it was that I eventually chose, says Dinç with a smile and adds; it seemed only natural!
In recent years, D&D Landscape has grown a lot, and today they offer all services in landscaping. Business is good, says Dinç. They have customers from all over North Cyprus, ranging from individuals to large hotels that are interested in their services.
Among the regular customers are, amongst others, Merit Royal Hotel, Karpaz Gate Marina and Noah’s Ark Hotel & Casino in Bafra.
Together with the customer Dinç draws and designs what the landscape will look like. There are mainly large plants, shrubs and trees that the company imports from countries around the world. They import a lot of plants from Holland, Italy, Argentina, Latvia, Thailand, China, Egypt and ceramic pots from Vietnam.
– We have very nice Bougainvillaea bonsais from Thailand. We buy them from Thai farmers who produce them. They graft the different colours on mother plants and make a very beautiful combination. We also import Ficus bonsai trees from China.
Dinç takes us on a tour inside the courtyard where all the plants are kept. We are overwhelmed by how large the area is, this is a huge inventory of trees and plants and ceramic glazed pots. Dinç says laughing;
– Everyone who comes in here looks surprised. When standing in front of the store one would never be able to imagine how large the courtyard actually is!
He also takes us to the warehouse in Ozanköy, where the largest plants and many pots are kept. Dinç tells us what happens when the plants are shipped here.
– Most common is that we travel to the country we want to import from, selecting what plants or pots we are interested in and then fill a container that is sent via Turkey to Cyprus. For the tall trees we need very large containers.
They also use plants from Cyprus; they have a large grove of olive trees for example.
Sun, cold or rain it does not matter, D&D Landscape are always working. In addition to his father, Dinç also works with his wife, mother, brother and three employees in the company.
As a leading company in the landscaping of North Cyprus, they have no real major competitors on the island; the largest competitors are from Turkey.
Dinç looks forward to 2016 with the many exciting projects that are under way.